a href="http://technorati.com/claim/3dc3eighr" rel="me">Technorati Profile

StraighTruth

I am a Freelance writer, poet, editor, artist & catoonist. My work is used by several OnLine companies to attract readers. Some of my writings have been translated into Chinese on the internet. I am posted on FaithWriters & Ezine and I edit the Harford County Christian Jail Ministry, (HCCJM) Newsletter, in Harford Co. Maryland. A follower of Christ, I work for the humane treatment of prisoners, the homeless and the disenfranchised

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I was ... in prison and you did not visit me." Matt. 25:43 by J.A.Stratemeyer

Matthew 25: 41-45
(ESV)
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me,
sick and in prison
and you did not visit me.'
Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?'
Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you,
as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' "

*Art Journal:
The painting above of the praying hands reaching through the cell bars which I entitled "Matthew 25" is my very first attempt at using oil pastels, linseed oil & brush. It is the first time I have ever ground and mixed pigments so that a brush and palette knife could be used as applicators. It is on mixed media paper and is about 8"x10" in size. The original sketch was done with charcoal. I have used oil pastels before but experimentally, more like you would use crayons, without very good results. I am new at using color and was intimidated by thought of expanding out for some time. My former mediums were simple lead pencil & charcoal on paper or cardboard.
Up until this summer they were the only tools with which I felt comfortable.
And if it were not for encouragement
of my lovely wife
I would most likely have never tried it.
I hope you like this painting and I pray
that the imagery and the verses which inspired it are meanigful to you.
Whatever the results, either positive or negative take a second to leave a comment either here on this blog or at:
http://www.mybloglog.com/buzz/members/StraighTruth/
I would appreciate it so much.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig your art Aslan. You are very talented and after reading the blog, the painting simply magnifies the meaning of what is being said.

Great work on your art and your passage bro.

'Mind Of Marcus' BlogSpot
Subscribe to 'Mind of Marcus'
The Mind For Revolution Is Here

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a similar one to this and it was also my first painting! Mine had someone reading the bible through the bars. It was used as part of a South Africa project that my church was involved in.

8:30 AM  
Blogger bhambird43 said...

I was searching for the verse in the bible where Jesus spoke of "you never came to visit me in prison" ..and found this...great painting and mix with the verse.. that verse is the easiest way for me to understand jesus and what he wants us to do in this life..Its like he is saying he is with and "is " the sick, brokenhearted, lost, prisoners , lowest of soceity etc.. So its like we need to really go to him ( the lowest in our society) to make him happy and visit him.. love him.. Maybe you could make another one that has a hidden or slightly hidden message that the person in the jail cell is jesus? something not noticeable at first but if tried you could see.. like the prisoner is jesuses hands with the holes in them healed up? or the holes in them with blood coming out? would be more depth to the painting and make people understand the verse better...Great Work!!!!!!!!!!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<